Bahasa:   Bahasa Malaysia
Latar Belakang: 1 Latar Belakang: 2 Latar Belakang: 3 

Kemaskini Pada: 17 Dis 2018
Versi 8.1.2
Sixth rabies victim discharged from SGH, still in critical condition — Deputy Health Minister
Tarikh : 02 Feb 2018  Sumber Berita: The Borneo Post

Sixth rabies victim discharged from SGH, still in critical condition — Deputy Health Minister

KUCHING: The seven-year-old rabies victim from Kampung Kuala, Serian was discharged from Sarawak General Hospital (SGH) on Wednesday.

This was announced by Deputy Health Minister Datuk Seri Dr Hilmi Yahaya who, however, said the boy, the sixth victim infected with the rabies virus, is still in critical condition after being warded at SGH for the past six months, and relies on ventilator support at his home.

“The victim is now bed-ridden. He cannot move and needs assistance from others to manage himself. He also cannot breathe properly and will have to rely on long-term breathing support,” he told a press conference after attending a ‘Majlis Ramah Mesra’ with government hospitals’ board of visitors and health clinics’ advisory panels from the state’s southern zone here yesterday.

The boy was bitten by a dog on June 17 last year and subsequently received three anti-rabies vaccine shots at Serian Hospital on June 21, 24 and 28, with the fourth dose scheduled for Aug 4.

His condition however deteriorated on Aug 1. He  experienced behavioural changes and hallucination and was referred to SGH on Aug 3.

Dr Hilmi also touched on the seventh rabies victim – a 59-year-old man from Jalan Batu Kawa-Matang here.

“The man, who was warded on Jan 25, is still being treated at the infectious diseases separation ward at SGH.”

Meanwhile, state Health Department director Dr Jamilah Hashim, who was also present at the press conference, said an investigation on the seventh rabies case found that the private clinic the victim had sought treatment at had failed to notify or refer the case to SGH or other government hospitals.

“When the victim was bitten in November, he sought treatment at a private clinic and after two to three days, the injury had healed and he was well again.

“But last month, the victim began showing symptoms and when he went to a get himself checked at a private hospital, he was referred to us.”

She said a warning letter has been issued to the clinic to remind it to report any dog bite cases to the Health Department or government hospitals.

On another matter, Dr Jamilah confirmed that Japanese Encephalitis (JE) has claimed the life of a victim in the state.

She said the Health Department had received two JE cases this year which resulted in one death.

She, however, could not elaborate as she did not have the details with her at the press conference.